Covid-19 update 10/16/2020
We anticipate adding an update later today on 10/17/2020
October 16, 2020
To Our Staff, Residents and Family Members,
On October 12, 2020 we informed you of one staff member that tested positive for Covid-19 at Geer Lodge. This staff person was assigned to the Gardenside unit. We conducted contact tracing for this staff member and we are confident that this staff member worked only in their assigned area. As we continue to restrict staff access between buildings, there is an extremely low risk of transmission to Geer Nursing.
As soon as we were informed, we notified the proper health authorities, implemented the necessary precautions and proceeded to test all residents and staff. Unfortunately, some of those tests are starting to come back positive.
As of right now, we do not have all the test results back but want to communicate with you as soon as possible. Of the test that have been returned we have 7 residents (out of 21) from Gardenside that have tested positive and an additional 4 in other areas of the Lodge building have tested positive. Not all resident’s tests results have been returned. We do not have test results back from all of the Lodge staff testing.
At this time, we have called and spoken to the primary responsible party for each resident. Going forward we will call you IF your loved one’s test results come back positive. As you can imagine, the volume of phone calls is large and we will do our best to call as quickly as possible.
Precautions being implemented:
- Residents are being cohorted based on their test results. If their results are not yet known they are treated as positive, until their results are known.
- All Residents are being isolated in their rooms.
- Staff are in full personal protective equipment and following best practices regarding infection control.
- Under the guidance of the Torrington Area Health District and State of Connecticut Epidemiology, we be performing weekly staff and resident testing will continue until we can produce 100% negative results for a minimum period of 14 days at Geer Lodge Assisted Living facility.
- Staff movement between buildings continues to be strictly prohibited.
We appreciate your understanding as we address this unfolding situation. Immediately we must suspend in person outdoor or indoor visits at Geer Lodge. We will continue to offer virtual visits at this time. Please contact the Lodge Recreation Department, by calling Tina McGarry, Recreation Manager, at 860-824-2608, or by emailing email@example.com to learn the latest availability of visitations.
If you have any questions regarding The Lodge residents, please contact Executive Director Sherry Schoonmaker at (860) 824-2639 or firstname.lastname@example.org
For questions regarding Geer Nursing residents, please contact Director of Nursing Cady Bloodgood at (860) 8243825 or email@example.com or Infection Preventionist Melissa Foley at (860) 824-3861 or firstname.lastname@example.org
thank you for understanding,
Sherry Schoonmaker, Executive Director
Kevin O’Connell, CEO