Geer Village Senior Community acknowledges that volunteers contribute in many ways, that their contribution is unique and that volunteering can benefit residents, staff, the community and volunteers themselves. We value the contributions made by volunteers, and are committed to involving them in appropriate positions and in ways which are encouraging, supportive and develop volunteering.
While the volunteer role is a gift relationship, and volunteers offer time freely and willingly without obligation, there is a presumption of mutual support and reliability. All volunteers will be assigned to a paid staff supervisor and will receive appropriate orientation, training and supervision.
Through volunteers we can increase the level of interest and commitment to Geer’s mission, increase collaborative relationships, potential contributors and ultimately the number of individuals and families we can assist. Our volunteers:
- demonstrate their commitment to Geer Village
- make a difference in their community
- socialize and meet people while volunteering
- gain skills or utilize existing skills
- keep active
Due to State licensing and our work with a vulnerable populations we take our relationship with volunteers very seriously so there is a multi-step process that must be followed as outlined below.
- Initial screening form (this form which can completed on line or on paper and available from the Receptionist)
- Screening Phone call with Volunteer Coordinator or Development Director
- A Full application
- Interview with Recreation Director or appropriate Department Head
- Background Screening
- Orientation and Assignment